Saturday, May 11, 2013

windows

I love the windows in this house, I think the old 12 over 12 colonial style windows have so much chartacter and I think they make the house so much more unique. I love old houses and the old wavy glass windows. In our last house, a victorian farmhouse, the windows were 1 over 1, beautiful full panes of old wavy glass, I restored many of them, and boy is there a huge time and work difference in restoring 12 over 12's versus the 1 over 1's. As a painter i've fixed up alot of old windows, but never completely stripped and restored 12 over 12's, they are so much work, but beautiful once finished. And these windows are in very rough shape, but most are worthy of restoration, amazingly not much rot, some breakage from the house being vandalized but most are salvagable. I've finished almost half of the windows for the house, it was a good winter project to keep progress on the house moving while we were under the heavy snow periods, and the road the house is on is not a town managed road so it doesn't get plowed, so it was tough to access the house when we had alot of snow.

Heres some window pics, i'll post some completed windows installed when that time comes, once the house is a little farther along in the restoration...


some completed windows next to my work bench





No comments:

Post a Comment